Jack’s Magazine is a former explosives storage facility by the banks of the Maribyrnong River in Maribyrnong. It was opened in 1878 – initially for the storage of gunpowder. The six hectare site includes a bluestone perimeter wall, tramways, tunnels, earth blast mounds and an array of buildings. It was decommissioned in the 1990s and has been locked up and unused since.
Jack’s Magazine is within a 12-hectare parcel of Crown Land managed by Working Heritage – which has been appointed to conserve and revitalise Jack’s Magazine. Jack’s Magazine is on the Victorian Heritage Register and recognised for its architectural, historical and technological significance.